Raejean Roberts loves to spend time with her family celebrating life! She's always looking for a way to turn an everyday event into a party. You can read more of her adventures on her personal blog Easy as PIE.

More from this author »
RECENT PINS

Stay at Home Summer Camp Themes

In my last post, I talked about the academic part of our Stay at Home Summer Camp, or the workbooks. Our Summer Camp themes are academic too, but I won’t tell if you don’t.  Before summer begins, everyone chooses a few topics they would like to learn about.  Everyone gets at least one or two of their choices and I’ll add in one of mine if I need to balance things out.   We check out a bunch of books from the library before the start of the week, so on our first day of each topic we narrow down what we want to learn about.  The best part is assigning everyone a sub-subject to read up on and share.  I find stories, games, activities and recipes that go with our theme.

Last year we learned about China, Inventions, the Revolution, and Australia.  We colored flags and learned about animals, we wrote acrostics and made windsocks.  We learned about Ben Franklin, Paul Revere, and George Washington.  We learned some history about our Grand Old Flag and Betsy Ross’ one-snip star.  We traveled through time and around the globe to learn about inventions from Mesopotamia, Egypt, Greece and Rome.  And my favorite – the food!  We had cookies, cupcakes and patriotic cakes.

I’ve collected everyone’s top subjects for this summer’s camp.  I need to do a little tweaking and fine tuning to make a loose schedule for the summer.  It looks like we will have an interesting mix.  Starting in mid-June I’ll post our cool summer camp adventures!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Comments (22)

1. Pingback: The Change - Easy As PIEEasy As PIE

2. Raejean 05/30/2013 at 10:40 am

Amy, I’d love to hear what you do this summer! Keep me posted.

3. Amy Allen Johnson 05/29/2013 at 4:47 pm

We’ve just brainstormed out list this week. Looking at summer this way, there’s hardly enough time to get it all in! Thanks for the help on ideas!

4. denver wedding photographers 11/02/2012 at 3:01 am

Hello There. I found your weblog the use of msn. This is a very smartly written article. I’ll be sure to bookmark it and return to read extra of your helpful info. Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly return.

5. Pingback: New York City Summer Camp - Arizona Mama Arizona Mama

6. Pingback: France Summer Camp - Arizona Mama Arizona Mama

7. Pingback: Summer Goals for Kids - Easy As PIE

8. Pingback: July Numbered | | Easy As PIEEasy As PIE

9. Pingback: Fruits and Veggies Around the World « « Arizona Mama Arizona Mama

10. Pingback: Celebrate Chinese New Year! « Arizona Mama Arizona Mama

11. Pingback: Deadly Creature Camp, Part One « Arizona Mama

12. Pingback: Nutrition Camp « Arizona Mama

13. Pingback: History Camp « Arizona Mama

14. Pingback: Art Camp « Arizona Mama

15. raejean 06/16/2010 at 6:34 pm

I've read some of your post – we do have a lot in common. Let me know if you're in Arizona and we could swap stories and tricks!

16. raejean 06/16/2010 at 6:33 pm

Hopefully they will see that learning can be fun!

17. raejean 06/16/2010 at 6:33 pm

Cammi Roberts is a great photographer! I use her work all the time!

18. carriefinlinson 06/08/2010 at 5:30 am

I think we could be good friends. Thanks for the post.

19. sondra 06/05/2010 at 9:32 pm

Should keep the kids out of trouble & give them a little head start at school.

20. Pingback: Weekly Round Up « TodaysMama