My friends tease me for saying "I can make that" whenever we go shopping anywhere (or out to eat!)but they love that I can craft things that I would otherwise buy for more money. If you like what you see, check out some of my other projects at Monzanita's. Leave me a comment if you have any questions or suggestions!

More from this author »
RECENT PINS

DIY Indoor Clothesline in Laundry Closet

I like to hang dry my clothes in the summer, but I do it inside, outside is too dusty here and I don’t like wearing dusty clothes. Plus, the extra moisture in the air feels good. This website has a calculator that shows approximately how much it would cost you to use your dryer, and that’s not even counting how much more you are paying to run the air conditioning more (if your dryer is inside like mine). It may not be much each time, but every little bit I can do adds up.

I put most of my clothes on hangers and hang them wherever I can, like the doorways, doorknobs, shower, crib, chairs, etc. Those places work fine, but the clothes can get in the way, not to mention it looks terrible and it’s hard to remember where you left everything, especially when company is walking in. These clotheslines are perfect because they don’t take up extra space, you can use them while your laundry closet is open, but you can close it to hide it when you’re not using it.

My husband hung my first mini-clothesline under the shelf in our laundry closet awhile ago, but the only rope we had on hand was stretchy so it sags quite a bit every time you try to hang stuff on it. I don’t mind too much — the mini-clothesline is perfect for socks, underwear, wash cloths and baby clothes. I finally went to the dollar store and bought some actual clothesline that doesn’t stretch as much.

I put in the second clothesline myself about a year after our mini clothesline (I can’t believe it took me that long to come up with the idea!) so that I could hang all of our other clothes in one place. It works unless I do multiple loads of laundry at a time or a large load of towels. It is nice having it in the laundry closet so that I don’t have an ugly drying rack somewhere taking up more space. I have to say, I love that our laundry closet is out of the way in the hallway, but it sure was hard trying to get a picture!

Materials:
Clothesline
Screws
Drill
Hook

Directions:
Put each screw in so that the top is at an upwards angle, and use the drill to screw it into the wall. Leave about 1 cm sticking out of the wall so that you can tie the rope around it.

Use a tiny bit to drill where you want your hook. After drilling the hole, screw the hook into the hole.

You can now tie your clothesline to the screws. Make sure to pull it tight and double knot the ends. You may have to thread the clothesline through the hook before it is tied to the second screw.

That’s all folks! Now it’s time to get to work washing laundry… it’s not fun but “Laundry today, or naked tomorrow!”

Tags: , , , ,

Comments (9)

1. Sisam 10/18/2015 at 7:59 am

Kori – I’m just getting back into scnoiboakprg now that I have a new baby and this is so beautiful and is giving me so many great ideas! Thanks for making this website!!

2. Pingback: DIY Fabric Slings for Gift Wrap Organization « « Arizona Mama Arizona Mama

3. Alice Happe 07/04/2012 at 12:41 pm

Everyone should own a clothes line with the economy like it is. I have three separate lines. One is the retractable type with 4 lines, stretching across the garage walls. I have an umbrella type that I use outside. Neighborhood does not permit them, but do it anyway. In my laundry room I put a stainless steel six foot car clothes hanger. It is handy to take clothes from washer to hanger to line on this one. Not sure where you would find these things today, as mind is about 30 years old. My favorite is the retractable I can use all winter inside. I recommend you put your screws into a wall stud for strength.

4. Maria Kitching 07/01/2012 at 3:58 am

This is a great idea. I live in Scotland and everyone here hang washing out but the weather is unpredictable. I have rails for drying inside but I like that this can be concealed. Sometimes in winter I feel like I live in a chinese laundry when you have rails everywhere and socks on radiators.

5. misssrobin 06/30/2012 at 11:14 am

It looks great! I hope you continue to love it for a long time. Thanks for sharing.

Stopping by from SITS. Have a great weekend.

6. Monica Jamer 06/27/2012 at 12:45 am

Becky, I was considering doing something sturdier– I was almost out the door and on my way to the store, but I decided not to spend a dime and do this for now– and it works. You must live a little bit further away from a farm than me! I hung outside the first summer we lived here and I felt gross wearing my clothes and especially drying off on the towels. It was good to hear the shower curtain rod works, I will probably upgrade someday!

7. Becky 06/27/2012 at 12:34 am

I too live in AZ, but i do hang outside. Not terribly dust and takes so little time when its 110 degrees. I did something similar in my laundry room with a shower rod. Very sturdy.

8. Sarah C 06/25/2012 at 11:02 pm

That’s so creative!! I have a small hanging thing with tons of clothespins on it for socks and undies. I love drying our clothes inside even during the winter. We have the opposite problem though – too much moisture outside and inside! Thanks for linking up.

9. Amy Allen Johnson 06/19/2012 at 6:59 pm

Funny, I had this thought today as we are sooo out of clean clothes, but I just can’t think of heating up the house with the dryer. Maybe a late night load so we’re dressed tomorrow and then air dry the rest. Great ideas!