My friends tease me for saying "I can make that" whenever we go shopping anywhere (or out to eat!)but they love that I can craft things that I would otherwise buy for more money. If you like what you see, check out some of my other projects at Monzanita's. Leave me a comment if you have any questions or suggestions!

More from this author »
RECENT PINS

DIY On the Go Applesauce

Have you seen those cool squeeze packs of applesauce? We’ve had them a few times but it seems so wasteful (moneywise and otherwise) to just throw the containers away afterwards. With all of my traveling lately I wanted to buy some for the last road trip but never did. This time I will be bringing some of my DIY ones.

All you need is applesauce and a squeezy water bottle. I have seen them at the 99 cent store recently. You can also add any other pureed type food, I have seen some crazy combinations at the store. We used a jar of baby food mixed with the applesauce. If you have older kids, don’t tell them it’s baby food and as long as it still tastes good I’m sure they’ll drink/eat it. I will have to try to prove my point with my siblings and see if they can tell.

I poured applesauce in my bottle, with a jar of fruity baby food. It was a mix, I can’t remember what exactly it was. I tried some and it was good, but once I gave some to the baby he didn’t want to share with me anymore. He hasn’t been able to eat the store bought ones on his own yet and I had to help him squeeze this one, but he drank it really fast. I consider it a success.

The only thing I plan on doing differently is getting a funnel. It was possible to fill the pouches without one, but it sure would be nice to have one.

I also noticed it was hard to squeeze out every last drop of applesauce, and that bummed me out a little but as far as clean-up.  It was just the same as washing a bowl and a spoon.

I will definately be making some of these before we go on our next road trip. Thanks for reading, and let me know how yours turn out!

For some other DIYs that save money, check out these links:
Making the Most of Fresh Lemons
Cheap Picture Frame Mat
Car Seat Strap Covers
Cute 15 Cent Notebooks

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Comments (15)

1. Pingback: Trying to Eat Better with Green Chicken a la King | Monzanita'sMonzanita's

2. Pingback: My Top 5 Posts on Arizona Mama | Monzanita's

3. Pingback: Snacks to Bring to the Zoo - Arizona Mama

4. Monica Jamer 09/11/2012 at 10:12 am

Ali- It isn’t that difficult unless stuff gets dried on. I rinse ours out as soon as possible but these ones are dishwasher safe. I have seen some at Big Lots for $1 and I don’t know if those ones would be dishwasher safe or not. Good luck on your search! I have been putting homemade purees in them too, as well as smoothies. It’s just a less messy way for him to feed himself.

5. Ali 09/11/2012 at 9:24 am

I’ve never seen those types of water bottles before, but I’ll be on the hunt for them now! I’ve been trying to think up a way to make my own or repurpose the store bought ones, but haven’t been able to invent anything yet. Now I’m so glad I saw your post!

I make almost all of our own baby food, but love the convenience of the store bought pouches – especially when out and about where a bowl & spoon would be a hassle to tote around in the diaper bag.

How difficult is it to wash that reusable squeezy water bottle?

6. Ola 09/02/2012 at 9:39 pm

Try the Spill Proof Water Bottle Spouts. mentioned here http://tiedemania.blogspot.com/2012/04/it-worked.html That is what I will try 🙂

7. Monica Jamer 09/02/2012 at 9:31 pm

I kept the applesauce in the cooler with our drinks.

8. Sparrow In Flight 09/02/2012 at 9:15 pm

What a great idea! I have thought the same thing about the wastefulness. My question is how do you keep the food from spoiling while on a road trip? Just putting it inthe cooler or some other way?

9. Jen 08/31/2012 at 1:13 pm

Greta way to save money. Thanks for the tip!

10. Monica Jamer 08/30/2012 at 10:58 pm

That’s a great idea, thanks Meghan! I’ll be trying it the next time I get a tub of yogurt instead of the little cups.

11. Meghan 08/30/2012 at 8:45 pm

This is a smart idea! You’re right those little pouches are so wasteful, but convenient. I bet you could also put yogurt in them for older kids who are into gogurt.

12. Monica Jamer 08/29/2012 at 10:16 am

These are the water bottles I got a few years ago. You can find that style all over the place now. Vapur Water Bottle

13. Alison @ Momma Did It 08/29/2012 at 9:46 am

What a great idea! My kids LOVE applesauce, but only if it is plain. They have tried the multi flavored ones you can buy. Not fans. They love the plain ones, but they are so expensive. I have never seen the squeeze water bottles before. I’m going to have to keep my eye out for them, now. Thanks for sharing!

14. Monica Jamer 08/27/2012 at 10:24 pm

I shared it, thank you!

15. Marlo 08/27/2012 at 10:13 pm

good idea. I have wanted to buy those squeezey foods too and couldn’t bring myself to do it.
    please consider sharing you post on my new blog hop. Repurosed Ideas Weekly.