My friends tease me for saying "I can make that" whenever we go shopping anywhere (or out to eat!)but they love that I can craft things that I would otherwise buy for more money. If you like what you see, check out some of my other projects at Monzanita's. Leave me a comment if you have any questions or suggestions!

More from this author »
RECENT PINS

T-Shirt Dress {Easy Sewing Tutorial}

T-Shirt Dress Tutorial! Take an oversize tee and turn into a cute dress!
In almost any tourist trap they have cheap t-shirts. I don’t usually wear cheap t-shirts around, but fashioned as a skirt or t-shirt dress I might! (See Also: T-Shirt to Skirt)

Materials:
T-shirt 2-3 Sizes Larger than you wear
T-shirt that fits perfectly (Just for the pattern!)
Matching Thread

Directions:
Fold both t-shirts in half. Lay the small pattern t-shirt an inch from the center. This will account for seam allowance. Cut the bottom shirt along the lines of the top shirt.
tshirtdress
Turn the t-shirt inside out, and pin the sides together. The best for sewing these sides is a serger, but using a zig-zag stitch on a regular sewing machine will work just as well. Sew the sides of the t-shirt dress. Do not sew the arm holes closed.

The last thing is to finish the sleeves. Fold the edges over twice, and press them. Use a long straight stitch or a zig-zag stitch to hem the arm holes.
finishedtshirtdress
That’s it! It took me longer to write this post about how to do this than it did for me to make each of these t-shirt dresses, and I love them!
blacktshirtdress

white tshirt dress tutorial
I did go back to the black one and made it into tank top instead, because it is going to start getting hot in Arizona!

tanktopdress

Other Sewing Tutorials:
Cross Body Bag
Swim Suit Bikini Top
Messenger Bag
Cascading Ruffles Curtains

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Comments (15)

1. lInda 11/05/2014 at 5:58 pm

I love this and for the length problem, just use another tshirt for scraps. I did this when I cut a tshirt dress too short. I added a new 4 inch hem, without hemming and it’s my favorite coverup/casual dress. I cut 4 inch strips and sewed them into a long strip and added the hem.

2. jessica 07/26/2014 at 12:00 pm

this is awesome! can’t wait to try it. so simple and brilliant.

3. Abby @ Just a Girl and Her Blog 03/17/2014 at 12:42 pm

Girl, I need some of your sewing skills! That is awesome! They look adorable. Thanks so much for sharing!

~Abby =)

4. Pingback: 38 Clothing Refashion Tutorials to Upcycle Your Wardrobe | hometips.co.za

5. Pingback: Crafting a Green World | The home for green crafts and tutorials!

6. Monica Jamer 03/28/2013 at 10:40 am

There isn’t enough fabric from the sides to add to the bottom. I would suggest buying a larger t-shirt this one was just 1x, but a 3x would be longer. I also am going to try to add lace to the bottom of one I have now and I will post again if it goes well!

7. Tesha 03/28/2013 at 7:12 am

I love this! Do you think we could make this but maybe use the excess t shirt to make it a little longer? Sadly I don’t have your tiny little body :) I want to make this before I leave for Hawaii!, let me know! Thx

8. Pingback: Link Round-up: DIY Projects, Disney Nails, and Healthy Snacks | Smart Mom Style

9. Natalia 02/28/2013 at 9:09 am

I love this! I’ve done this with a guy’s collared shirt but I didn’t think about doing a t-shirt! I’ll try this next!

10. Heather Feather 02/26/2013 at 9:42 pm

What a great idea! I have never thought of this even though I’ve used t-shirts for almost everything else. Great tutorial!
    Thanks for linking up!

11. Marlo 02/26/2013 at 9:28 pm

Now that’s a handy little project! Thanks for sharing at repurposed ideas weekly.

12. Allison 02/26/2013 at 3:04 pm

brilliant! thanks for sharing how you made your dress :) now I just need to take a trip to the thrift shop to look for t-shirts

13. Deanna 02/26/2013 at 1:29 pm

Love this idea!! And so (sew!) easy! I’ve been wanting a very simple dress with short sleeves for this summer – and here it is – the perfect cross between a tee and a dress. I’m so happy!

14. That looks much easier than the methods I’ve tried! Thanks for sharing.

15. Mary at Sweetwater Style 02/24/2013 at 8:02 am

I can’t wait to make some of these to take on vacation to Mexico…they will be perfect! Never thought of this in all the years I have been restyling stuff from Goodwill…genius!