Cinco de Mayo celebrations began as a way to commemorate Mexico’s victory over the French in the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. As its popularity grew in the United States, the holiday evolved to include a celebration of Mexican culture and heritage.
The Cinco de Mayo Phoenix Festival is one of Ariona’s largest multicultural festivals. This year the 21st Annual Event will take place May 3-4, 2014. Admission is free for kids ages 12 years and under. The event features a family carnival with rides and games.
What: Cinco de Mayo Phoenix Festival 2014
When: May 3, 2014 from 2:00 pm to midnight
May 4, 2014 from 12:00 pm to 10:00 pm
Where: 200 E. Van Buren in Downtown Phoenix
Tickets: $5 General Admission, Kids 12 & under FREE. Buy tickets online here.
The two-day family festival entertainment includes:
- Family carnival rides and games – Single tickets and wrist band options available. Carnival prices are reasonable and comparably lower than other similar events.
- Live music – Performing artists include: Latino Rebel, El Chicano, Los Lonely Boys, Ozomatli, and Los Lobos.
- Lucha Libre – Mexican-style wrestling
- Ballet Folklorico – dance that emphasizes folk culture with ballet characteristics
- Traditional food and drinks
- Prizes, giveaways, and more – courtesy of festival sponsors
- USA Olympic-Style Boxing Tournament – begins 2:00 pm on Saturday, May 3rd
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Marcos Maidana Title Fight – starts at 6:00 pm on Saturday, May 3rd
Two-day all access VIP passes and VIP passes for specific live performances are also available. All tickets, including General Admission, are available for purchase online with sales ending one hour before the event.